Keweenaw Economic Development Alliance
Leading Economic Development in the Keweenaw
The Keweenaw Economic Development Alliance is leading the effort to engage community leadership to start, retain, grow and attract companies that will increase the wealth of the region through a holistic and collaborative strategy that builds on the assets and opportunities present in the region.
The Keweenaw’s future economy comes from a legacy of its past economy!
KEDA was created by community leaders in 1969 following the closure of the area’s copper mines to diversify and expand the manufacturing, tourism, service and technology sectors in the Keweenaw region.
KEDA’s Primary Focus is to:
• Start, retain and expand regional companies through regular outreach and delivery of support services
• Assist companies looking to locate to the region including custom proposals, available site and demographic information, incentive packaging and facilitation of access to all available resources
• Assist regional companies that need access to alternative financing including support through the KEDA and Houghton County revolving loan funds
• Identify opportunities to improve infrastructure to support business and coordinate packaging of projects for funding
• Assist communities to plan and implement improvements that will support their growth and development and retain and attract talent
• Collaborate with regional, state, and national partners and service providers to ensure effective support for regional businesses and communities
• Lead and support to initiatives designed to advance the region’s economy
KEDA’s high School skilled trades scholarship recipients from 2016.