Connecting the Community to the Keweenaw’s Cultural and Natural History
“Highlight of Houghton visit. Thank you!”
– Sharon Frost Petoskey, Visitor
“A hidden gem!”
– Carissa Lindeman, Visitor
Houghton second graders visit the Carnegie Museum.
The Carnegie Museum of the Keweenaw connects people to the natural and cultural history of the Keweenaw Peninsula, and to science and technology. The Museum seeks to inspire people of all ages to think critically and creatively about the historical, social, natural, and artistic forces that characterize and continue to shape the region. It is the Museum’s intent to enhance the quality of life experienced by all members of its community.
Learning about Huron Creek on “Trials & Trails of Huron Creek” Carnegie Trolley Tour, September 1, 2015
The Museum offers a variety of exhibits and programs of local interest throughout the year. Admission to all exhibits and programs is free and open to the public, except trolley tours for which we charge a nominal fee of $25 ($20 for members). We host a yearly membership drive and gala each October — “Night at the Museum” – featuring local music, food, and drink, and silent auction. In order to continue to offer exhibits and programs for free, we depend upon memberships, sponsorships, and donations. Our KCF fund is used to build an endowment so that we may continue to be open to everyone.
In 2012, we began a series of renovations of the building – preserving the historic aspects while adapting it for its new use as a museum. Most recently, we completed restoration of the Community Room on the ground floor level, formerly the Children’s library. It is now equipped for public presentations including a audio visual equipment and new seating for fifty visitors. The Carnegie Museum of the Keweenaw became a Heritage Site of the Keweenaw National Historical Park in late 2013.
The Carnegie Museum is located in the former public library building in downtown Houghton’s historic district. Built in 1909 with a $15,000 grant from Andrew Carnegie, this two-story sandstone and brick building opened in 1910 as the public library and continued to serve area residents for almost a century. Over the last few years, the Museum has embarked on several restoration projects to preserve the historic integrity while adapting it for its new use as a museum. Our first project was to repaint the trim with historic colors and our most recent is to restore the former Children’s library for a public presentation space. The Carnegie Museum’s Community Room may be requested for use by any area non-profit. See our web-site for details.